TWO many roosters!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TNchickies, Jan 24, 2014.

1. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    I was outside one morning when i found out that we have not one, but two roosters. Besides the growing spurs, pointed neck feathers, and just plain acting like a rooster, he has also started crowing. My hens pick on him a lot because he is much younger than them, but is still as big as them. When i got him, it was supposed to be a her. However, i understand that sometimes it is difficult to tell them apart as little as they are. 'She' was supposed to lay blue/green eggs. I think HE is an Americana or Auroricauna. My grandfather is set on taking him, a full grown rooster, back to the place we got him, where they sell chicks, and have them take him back. LOL. [​IMG] Other than that, the other full grown rooster and him have not been caught fighting. I know that as he gets bigger and more aggressive, I will have to give him away. [​IMG] My poor beautiful little baby!!!!

2. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    You could always eat him. Some of the Easter Eggers I've raised made decent birds for slow cooking. And you'll find no better source for delicious soup stock than your own flock!

Sexing chicks is a challenge and part of chicken ownership is having a plan for when mistakes are made. If there's someone near you who wants an Easter Egger rooster for his or her breeding flock (EEs come in so many lovely color combinations- check them out on the Easter Egger breeds thread) perhaps that would be a rehoming option. I generally discourage "rehoming" of excess cockerels because some folks you find on craigslist just want the "rehomed" birds as training partners for cock fighting. If you're okay with someone else eating your unwanted males, you might have luck posting it that way. Good luck with whatever you decide!

3. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Thank you so much! I don't have a huge problem with eating him, but i know that i would not be able to end it myself. lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by