1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two molts in one season?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawkbawkbawk, Jan 18, 2011.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

My Buff Orpington went through a full-up molt in October-November. She lost enough feathers that she was cold at night on the roost and slept in the nesting box for a few weeks presumably for warmth.

She seemed to have recovered, although I can't say her laying has been all that impressive. Last week I noticed she dropped a fair number of feathers again - nothing like the first time, but quite a few feathers in the pen and the coop. And she's been sleeping in the nesting box again.

I'm wondering if it is a second molt - does that happen? - or if it might be a stress reaction of some kind. A day or two before she stopped dropping feathers again a red-tailed hawk tried to attack my girls and they were both (my other one is an EE) sufficiently terrified that they didn't really come out of their pen to free-range for a few days. No feathers were dropped on the spot, though; is it common for a hen to lose feathers after the fact like that? She hasn't laid an egg since the hawk episode - I'd say it's been almost a week.

Oddly, the EE, who is exactly the same age as the BO, hasn't molted at all.

Here they are:

[​IMG]

2. bawkbawkbawk

Wish someone would reply - no thoughts?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I would think it is caused by stress. I've never heard of a bird going through 2 molts in one year.

4. bawkbawkbawk

Thanks, Chooks - appreciate the input. She hasn't laid again in over a week although she seems fine otherwise.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm having a similar problem. I had a BCM that molted, started laying again for about 13 days, then quit laying again. (the other BCM is doing the same but she was laying for a month, then quit) Nothing has changed around here, so I don't know what's up with them. They both are eating and acting fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by