1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two mommies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickschool, May 12, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I placed 4 fertile eggs under a broody silkie hen, which she took to with pleasure, and then second hen joined in. They have been tag teaming ever since and today all 4 hatched! My question is what will happen now? When can I expect them to emerge from the coop with the chicks? My second question is, I left a few of their own unfertilized eggs in with the bunch so they felt like they were sitting on the amount they wanted so should I remove them right away?

2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Remove the other eggs. They will stay on them til they hatch, neglecting the chicks. Make sure the chicks can get in/out of the nest box/coop. Mamas will do the rest. It may be a day or two before they leave the nest.

3. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    They wont neglect their chicks. They will abandn their eggs once the chicks start complaining. The chicks will take priority. However you should still remove the eggs since they arent fertile.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Thank you so much for everyone's help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by