Two month Chicken Can’t Walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pat Mcaffee, Jan 13, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

1. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    My Bresse pullet hasn’t been able to walk for about a week now but isn’t ideal able to really walk. She has been hobbling around her pen on her arms for eating and drinking purposes and I isolated her from the others. I can’t really tell a difference between her and the others legs other than that sometimes she stumbles and gets her right leg caught under her. I would splint her leg if I knew what the problem is but I need help figuring that out.

2. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    0C07935A-2718-4038-A021-B417001F71D5.jpeg 45036445-ECCB-41CB-970D-1F468C5F6076.jpeg 3C4B79E9-230E-4A29-B3E8-6C001C696D2F.jpeg 0C07935A-2718-4038-A021-B417001F71D5.jpeg AA00A6D4-BC4D-4EE8-989B-9CD131ADB553.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    Help would be very appreciated!!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you tried using poultry vitamins that contain b2 riboflavin? You can also use human vitamin b complex tablets added to water or feed.

She looks a little knock kneed. There is a leg bone deformity that can affect one or both legs called valgus deformity that looks like knock knees. She also may have a vitamin or mineral deficiency from parent stock. Are her toes curling under or is she sitting on her hocks? If vitamins do not help, I might try a chick chair or cup to gain strength in her legs.

upload_2019-1-13_13-7-56.jpeg

5. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Songster

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Pat, sorry to hear about your pullet! Usually when a chicken looses the use of her legs it's because of either an injury, a deficiency, or a disease such as Mareks.
    Is there any use in her feet? When you put your finger underneath her toes does she grab onto your finger?
    If you move her legs does she put up any resistance or seem to be any discomfort or pain? Any swelling or heat in her joints or feet?
    You could immediately start her on vitamins in case of deficiency as these won't hurt her at all. If you have human Vitamin B Complex pills you can start her on one quarter pill a day - crush pill on to favourite treat such as cooked egg, plain yoghurt or tuna.
    I would also give her some poultry vitamins in her water to give her a boost.

Is there any way she could have injured herself in your currant set up? A roost she could have fallen from or anywhere she may have gotten stuck or wedged?

A video of her trying to move around would really help people here to offer some suggestions!!

Was she vaccinated against Mareks?

She's a real cutie :) Hopefully others will be along to offer assistance with more experience than I!

6. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    Thank you for your help! She is sitting on her hocks (like she is in the picture) and yes sometimes I notice her toes curl but I think that is just an attempt to regain balance. Since I’ve isolated her, I think she’s been getting better but still tumbles often. I bought her from an egg so I really don’t know how the parent stock was fed. I do know she has a brother and a sister who walk fine. I’ve read a lot about Mareks online and as she’s been having some slight diarrhea, I’m worried that’s what it is. She is over 7 weeks so I’m thinking she’s a little old for Mareks and none of her siblings she was raised with have any symptoms.

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  7. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    I hatched her from home and don’t usually vaccinate for Mareks unless it’s a weaker breed. She did not get vaccinated. Her feet do curl around my finger and have function. She was being raised in a circular brooder with no roosts so she wouldn’t have gotten hurt in that way, however, she did start all of this one night when I found her on her back. She acted okay the next couple of day but then I noticed her leg. I will try and get a video up for everyone!

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Actually, she is at the age that Mareks can strike, but riboflavin deficiency cal also cause the sitting on hocks with toes curling under symptom. I would try a 1/4 tablet daily of human vitamin B complex crushed on food, or a poultry vitamin, but just make sure that it contains riboflavin. Here is a good article on riboflavin deficiency and another on Mareks:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

9. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017

Brahmachicken240 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: