Two month old chick

emilyschartz21

Chirping
5 Years
May 10, 2014
What breed is this? Is it a roo or a pullet? It's tail feathers are very long compared to the other two. It only have brown in the neck area and the rest is black.

Another pic -he's the middle one

Look for little buds near his or her toes those would be Spurs or u can try vent sexing it's kinda hard to explain over a conversation like this but if you look it up you should find somthin get. Plus place it in a pen with another rooster that you know is a rooster and crows and mates. If it puffs ups it's feathers and kicks it's sorus up pretty much saying he's taking charge over him because he knows it's a rooster if the real rooster does nothing or even try's to mate it's probably a hen. But there is no guarantee that all these will work! Hope it kinda helped tho.

I'll probably have to look for the little buds near the toes or do the vent sexing. I'm not allowed to have roosters where I live so that's not an option. I have seen it stick it's feathers up on its neck with another chick I have but they both do it and only do it when they fly into each other

Look for little buds near his or her toes those would be Spurs or u can try vent sexing it's kinda hard to explain over a conversation like this but if you look it up you should find somthin get. Plus place it in a pen with another rooster that you know is a rooster and crows and mates. If it puffs ups it's feathers and kicks it's sorus up pretty much saying he's taking charge over him because he knows it's a rooster if the real rooster does nothing or even try's to mate it's probably a hen. But there is no guarantee that all these will work! Hope it kinda helped tho.

It's a possibility that they are both roosters but if you try both those methods you should get an answer. And in your area if you would like to keep them look in to a no crow coller. :D

But the other one doesn't even have tail feathers like this one. She looks completely like a hen/pullet. Where would I get a no crow collar? I'll definitely try both those options to see if they're roosters. What do the little buds by their toes look like

It's a possibility that they are both roosters but if you try both those methods you should get an answer. And in your area if you would like to keep them look in to a no crow coller. :D

Some times when there this young roosters will do that to hens that's probably what it is you can just order them off line or sometimes they I'll sell them in tsc or petsmart. And the lite buds may not be there yet cause their kind of young but right now they should just like little nubs like a bone that started to grow but didn't it's kinda weird looking. As the get older the nail pokes through.

It's not a black sex link rooster. Black sex link roosters are colored like this...

Where did you get the bird from? I'm leaning toward black sex link pullet.

Good to know. I got it from Wardell feed in wheat ridge Colorado. Thy were all supposed to be pullets
It's not a black sex link rooster. Black sex link roosters are colored like this... Where did you get the bird from? I'm leaning toward black sex link pullet.

Back
Top Bottom