two muscovey girls sitting on eggs in same nest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peachie, Jun 30, 2010.

1. peachie

peachie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    i have 2 girls with their own eggs in a dog kennel they have been sitting for3 days and both are very stubben my question is is this normal for muscoveys to nest so close to each other and how likely are they to stay sitting they dont come out that i know of i take food and water to them i think they have about 7 eggs each i live in australia

2. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    I don't know if it is "normal" but I have had two share a nest and raise the ducklings together several times. Mine chose to do shares and did very well at it. You might watch for signs of one dominating the other and causing a problem.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hi there Peachie, I dont know of many other people out here who have ducks sitting at the moment. I am in Melbourne- and its freezing cold and very wet this winter. My ducks started laying a few months ago so I have been incubating Indian Runners for the last few months instead of Pekins. They have probably jumped off the nests for a few minutes when you didnt see them- they will come off for a few minutes- even up to half an hour each day and the eggs will be fine. I dont keep muscovies- so maybe someone else can answer the question about how common it is for them to nest so close together- but they have a reputation of being very good mothers- so will probably sit until they hatch out the babies. Just watch to make sure that neither of them is stealing eggs from the other- or that they end up with eggs in between them that neither is actually sitting on. Also when they are due- I suggest you keep a close eye on the mothers- as they may try to take babies from each other- or even hurt each others babies. It isnt very common- but just something to watch out for.

Best of luck to you and your two ducks for a good hatch in about 32 days!

4. Southernchickens

Southernchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    I had 3 muscovies lay eggs in one nest box and sit at one time. They now share the duty of watching all of the ducklings

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I have a thread on here where 2 of my Scovy girls are sitting on a nest. Actually now there are 4 of them sitting!!! LOL!!

Good luck!

6. peachie

peachie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    thank u everybody for your replys sorry its beenso long well they are still sitting and finaly saw one leave the nest to night so i got my torch out well i saw some red swiggly lines in some so i hope thats a good sign and yes i did think it was very strange that they were sitting they have only started laying in the last month and its getting very cold here in new south wales so i have my fingers crossed that they hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by