1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two mystery chickens! What breed are they, please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Red, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    So a friend got these chickens but can't keep them anymore as they have 'grown too big' for their coop. She was trying to re-home them and asked if i would be willing to take them on as i have chickens. However i can't as i think one is a boy (right??) and i can't keep roosters.

They are very beautiful little things, well cared for, very tame, and still look fairly young to me. She's trying to give them to a good home, and we have a friend who is willing to take them on but he needs to know age, breed etc. The person who owns the chickens knows almost nothing about them, so any guesses as to breed and age would be very helpful.

Thank you for any help!

[​IMG]
    This is the two chickens together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The (possibly) female close up

[​IMG]
    And the male - right?? [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, the crele one is a rooster. They look like mixed breeds to me. Cute!

BTW, how does a chicken grow too big for its coop?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  3. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering the same thing, Speckled! [​IMG]

Pretty birds--hope she finds a good place for them.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I agree... mixes... the pullet maybe a Silver Sebright mix... both could be OEGB as well.

5. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Thank you for the replies [​IMG]

I don't know [​IMG] I'm wondering if she got them as itty-bitty chicks, and thought they were fully grown / bantams or something?!? I'm not sure what size the coop is or anything like that, she just wondered if i would be able to give them a better home.

Shame one is a roo, we would have loved to have two new flock mates, especially such pretty chickens! Oh well, at least i can tell her one is definitely a boy...Thanks again guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by