Two mystery chickens...

ParagonPoultry

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Paragon, IN
Adopted some new birds today... Two of them, I'm not sure about the breed:

Bird 1:
LF, Black feathers with a green sheen, walnut? comb, Greenish legs, feet are mostly black...

Bird 2:
Bantam, Black feathers with a green sheen, single comb, black legs...

Any help on ID'ing these two would be great! I already have a good guess on sexes, but go ahead and give your opinion about that, too.

Thanks!

They look sorta like sumatras. Horray for you adopting them!
smile.png

I can see that resemblance, now... Do Sumatras come in both LF and Bantam? The combs are definitely throwing me off, tho. Perhaps mixed with something else?

Went out to the coop a bit ago and Bird 2, the bantam sized one, was 10' up in the rafters!

We have Sumatra chickens. Yes, they come in both large fowl and in bantam. They are game birds and will fly to high places, often in tree tops as will an OEGB. Sumatra chicken have multiple spurs often 4 or more. The Sumatra cockerel will have a very long flowing tail but can take up to a year to grow the tail length. Pullets will also have a longer tail than other breeds in hens but not as long as the cockerels/roosters. The Sumatra makes a totally different noise than any other chicken we have on our place. More like sweet chirp singing. Their combs and wattles will be black but if not in sunlight they will turn red. They have a pea comb but I have seen on some hatcheries Sumatra with a single comb which must not be purebred. The pullet/hen will nearly have no wattles at all. Young Sumatra pullets/hens will have small combs and it is hard to tell the cockerel from the pullet at a young age. The tail and larger comb comes on as they get older.

Here is a pic of our pullet who hatched on Jan 2nd and pic if from the first week of May. Notice the longer tail feather and the uprightness of her stand:
70344_sumatra_midnight_may_7_2011_100_2220.jpg

Here is a pic of our Sumatra cockerel hatched on Jan 2nd and pic taken first week of May. Notice the tail feathers. They still have a ways to go but definitely longer than other breeds.
70344_sumatra_jeckel_may_7_2011_100_2218.jpg

P.S. The comb on pic #1 looks like a Sumatra. What type of comb is on pic #2? With the way it is carrying it's tail, it may not be a Sumatra but they can have small odd looking pea combs until they mature.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom