1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two Mystery Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lisa81, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Lisa81

Lisa81 Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    With my order of chicks, I got 2 mystery chicks that are now 2 weeks old and I want to figure out what breed and sex they are. The first one I know will be a Blue or Splash Cochin, I just don't know the gender. I thought this one might be a boy since the feathers are taking forever to grow but I read somewhere, don't remember where, that both male and female Blue Cochins take their time to grow feathers.

The second picture I thought was a White Crested Black Polish but with the white growing on it's wings, I am not sure now. She was so cute when we first got her and now she looks like a mess with her feathers starting to grow out. She's tiny too so I'm sure she is a bantam.

What do you guys think, are these boys or girls and what type of polish do you think this is?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    First pic is a Light Brahma. Second pic is a White Crested Black Polish. Both are much to young to sex. And both breeds are extremely hard to sex while they are young. Have to wait till they are around 3 months to try and sex them.

3. Lisa81

Lisa81 Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016

Thank you and I hope you are right, I had someone tell me that the first one was a boy because of the feathers. At least now I have some hope.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Gray farms - plus they are adorable

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I also agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by