Two new additions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WynnFamilyFarms, May 20, 2017.

1. WynnFamilyFarms

WynnFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    Mississippi
    Hi all,

We found these two birds looking for a home on Craigslist and couldn't resist. They are the sweetest birds and we were curious if anyone could tell us whether they are full blooded or not as they look strikingly similar to our Buff Orpingtons and Bielefelders. The Buff looking one we believe is a male due to the waddles and larger comb.

Attached Files:

Magepalm likes this.
  2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    England
    My Coop
    they are lovely! Yep I think the orp is male and the other most certainly a pullet, do you know what age?

3. WynnFamilyFarms

WynnFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    Mississippi
    We were told about 8-9 weeks for each of them. Are you able to tell if they're full breed?

4. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    England
    My Coop
    im not "very" good with breeds.....i don't know what breed the pullet is, Iam VERY sure that the "male" is male and a buff orp! lol

WynnFamilyFarms likes this.
  5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    None of them are showing obvious signs of being cockerels. At 8 weeks just because the comb is larger doesn't mean its a definite cockerel especially when the comb is pink or red. Could you get some better pictures for me try and see if they look pure bred? They sure are cute!

drumstick diva likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree I don't think the buff is a male either. Comb isn't very large and I don't see any wattles. What color legs does he have? The other looks pullet and like a pure bred ,I've seen birds like her but don't remember the breed. She is lovely.

7. Nyla

Nyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2017
    Northern, Indiana
    Your Buff Being around 8-9 weeks is defiantly a pullet. As for your second chicken, is also a pullet. I have hatched and raised Buff Orps from an egg up to laying age. And the buff is pure bred, as for second chick, she looks like a welsummer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by