Two new additions!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big Dreamer, May 1, 2011.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Just got some ducklings, i think they are pekins, BUT if you have any input that would be great!! Im wondering if they are jumbo or just normal, the people said they were 3 weeks old! guess what..they were FREE of charge, because i was rescuing them from a pet store where a vet got them because of the horrible conditions and she was you can have them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What they are in is an a frame with two chicks, and they dont have bedding but i just got some and im going to make it more comfy tomorrow morning!

2. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    They're adorable, congrats!!

3. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    congratulations on your new rescue ducks! They look really cute [​IMG]

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations Nik. Big Mama wil have company of his own breed now. They sure is cute. Couldnt tell you if they are Jumbo or not.

5. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    DO you think i should seperate all the different breeds to get pure bred offspring..im not even sure if im going to hatch any, but you never know!! Anyone know anything about gender??

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Give it a few more weeks and you will be able to tell the boys will have a high pitched whistle and the girls have a weird sort of quack like they are just learning how to do it.

7. ducks_rcool329

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    males also have a curly feather on their tail, its a single feather that curls, that is one way to tell the males apart from the females.

8. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I know how to tell them apart when they are older, but i was just wondering if you may be able to tell just from looking at them at this age though...But thats OK! [​IMG]

9. ducks_rcool329

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    at that age with ducks its very difficult for someone like you or I to tell, I'm sure a little google-ing might find you the answer, but I have never been successful in finding the sex of them unless I pay the hatchery to do it for me, or just wait until they are older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by