1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Two New Chicks - Black Sex Link and Black Australop Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BoiseChik, Jul 22, 2013.

1. BoiseChik

BoiseChik Chirping

Jul 11, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    We just got two new little 4 week old chicks and they are so cute! I bought them from a lady who said they are a Black Sex Link and Black Australop Pullets. She had three BSL and I choose the smallest and most colorful one she had. My understanding is that with BSLs the males and females look so different that you know for sure that you have a rooster or a pullet. Is this true? So does this look like a BSL, 4 week old, pullet?
    And my little Black Australop, she was by far the tiniest chick in the box, but the lady said they are all 4 weeks old, bought at the same time from the Hatchery. I have other 4 week old chicks, and this little BA is about half the size, but seems to have about the same feathering. Could it be a Bantam or a runt? Does it appear that I have what I think I have? :-] Thanks Guys!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BoiseChik

BoiseChik Chirping

Jul 11, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    Anyone there? Hello?

3. Mathew544

Mathew544 In the Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Danville, PA
    I just got a mix of 3 week old chicks two weeks ago and they look like this now. So I would say around 5 weeks old? The one definitely looks like a black sex link to me but I'm not familiar with the other breed. I'm not sure if its male or female? sorry.

4. BoiseChik

BoiseChik Chirping

Jul 11, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    ok thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: