Two new Cochins - what gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CoopedInn, Sep 1, 2014.

1. CoopedInn

CoopedInn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    My Coop
    Hi All,

I've added a couple of Cochins to my flock, one black and one splash(??). I am told that they are nearly 4 months. Was hoping you could help me with the gender on these:

Splash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both of them look like cockerels to me.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning toward both being cockerels.

4. CoopedInn

May 13, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    My Coop
    Oh no! I just re-homed two beautiful cochin roos to get these thinking they were hens. I thought by this age their neck and saddle feathers would have been longer, more sickle shaped. Any tips to sexing these in the future? Here's a few more photos. Thanks in advance for any advice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

They are both beautiful cockerels! Cochin pullets at that age would have very tiny combs and tiny wattles!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree they're both cockerels. The gawky look, large combs for the age and starts of sex feathers are the giveaway. The reddish color on the wings tell on the splash bird, and the black bird you can see the glossiness of the sex feathers.

1 person likes this.
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X5 on Cochin cockerels, but they sure are beautiful.

8. CoopedInn

May 13, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    My Coop
    I guess I'm just a rooster magnet! I was going to keep my other two Cochin roos, but I only have room for about 7 birds in my coop/run, and I was advised to have no more than one. Finally decided to re-home both of those and just have seven layers, but looks like I'm back where I started!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You might want to post pics on here of birds you're thinking about buying, just to have us vet them first. Be sure you're getting what you want.

10. CoopedInn

May 13, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    My Coop
    Good advice. Thanks! Fortunately, I know the individual I got these from, and he has several more. He said I can swap them if they turn out to be Roos. Should I keep one, and swap the other one for a hen? That would put me at one Cochin roo to six pullets (2 each Cochins, barred rocks, and buff orps). I've read the best ratio is around 1:10. My pullets are about 5 months old now. Not interested in hatching any eggs, just wanted decent layers that are docile. I do have to admit that I love hearing a rooster crowing in the morning though, and there are no restrictions where I live. Decisions, decisions! LOL

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by