1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two new full grown roo's don't know how to drink water...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by growinupinfl, Dec 4, 2010.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I got two pretty roos today from the live stock auctions, and they will not drink water. They step in/on the waterer like they have never seen anything like that before. They were at the auction all do with no food no water. I'm pretty sure they need water..LOL but if they have been getting water from a nipple water(which I am assuming) how do I get them to drink like normal birds?

Thanks in Advance,
    Christal

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Can you dip their beaks in a bowl like chicks? Or maybe float something good in the water, so they'll peck it?

3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    That is a good idea.. I was so tired last night.. LOL but that will work..

Water and marbles, the all chicken water fixer...LOL

Christal

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

An electric dog bowl may work and you may have to take a dropper and syring water into it and gently drop on the curve of their beaks (avoiding nares=nostrils) until they catch on.

5. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I wonder if they will catch on watching the other chickens? Since they are attracted to red things...I really like the red dishes on the waterers

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If they didn't know how to drink , they would be dead in a few days.

They will figure it out soon enough.

You just need to get the waterer up high enough so they can't be stepping in it

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by