Two new "hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ccpainthorses, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ccpainthorses

ccpainthorses New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    Ok, we got these "hens" from my mothers friend. They were "suprise" chicks from a hatchery. The gentleman thought they were Fiomas (sp?) but we are sure that's not the case. I say "hens" because the darker ones feathering looks more rooster like. They're about 7mos old, and no one has seen or herd it crow, yet our 4mo old Marans rooster has been crowing awhile now. As well as the Olive Egger roo. No clue what color eggs might be, since the previous owner didn't know if these we're laying yet, and we've only had them 3 days, so no eggs expected due to stress. What I do know: bright yellow legs on the lighter hen. Yellow with a little darker coloring on the darker "hen". No extra toes. Darker one has what looks to be outlining like what you'd see on a wyondotte. Possibly a blue wyondotte? The lighter hen doesn't seem to have outlining, but has darker lines on her back. Both have clean legs. Both are pea combed, and both have "spikey" feathers on the side of the combs. That about sums up what we know for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated:) and thanks in advance!!

Darker "hen" possible roo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lighter hen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They both look like Wyandotte cockerels.

3. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Not sure about breed but those are both cockerels.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They are both Blue Wyandotte cockerels.

5. ccpainthorses

ccpainthorses New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    Ok guys, only 1 problem. The silver one has let our rooster mount her. Is this a dominance thing then? I totally agree on the darker one being a cockerel. Thanks everyone for the breed help!!

6. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Yes the lighter one is being submissive. You can see the long pointed saddle feathers on his back near his tail and those same long pointed feathers around his neck (hackles). Those are sure signs that it's male.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree. Sorry. :eek:(

9. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014