1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two new pullets. I know what breeds they are - but do you?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by impis, Apr 22, 2011.

1. impis

impis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2010
    Hi all,

Since our Welsommer, Bonnie, has had the attention of Clyde the Barnvelder cockerel all to herself [something she's not that keen about] I decided to add to his little harem in order to give her a rest, and give him some more girls to take care of.

Soo - a nice man looked after Bonnie and Clyde while I was away in Egypt this week. He sells pullets, so a couple were added to my two, in the hope that the strange surroundings for a week would mean that they'd bond easier.

Today I brought them home. I'm expecting you to be able to identify the first one really easily, but probably not the second one.. The creamy coloured one is still very young - only about 14 weeks old, I think..

No names yet - so we'll call them 'No. 1' and 'No 2'.

Here's No 1:

[​IMG]

And here's No. 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Okay- here's my guess-

#1- Delaware?

#2- Icelandic?

3. impis

Nov 20, 2010
    Hmmm,

No 1 does look like a Delaware, doesn't she! However, she's not a Delaware.

I'm in the UK - so that might make a difference. I suppose there is a possibility that my 'no 1' is the same as a Delaware - but that we call them different things.

No. 2 is not an Icelandic.

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Light sussex and Cream Legbar?

5. impis

Nov 20, 2010
    Quote:OOooer - you are VERY close!

No. 1 is a light sussex.

you are very close with No 2, but she's not a Cream Legbar.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    We don't have crests on our colored egg layers, but I hear you have- is it some form of colored egg layer? A crested Araucana, perhaps? Ours are much smaller, no crest, and often have tufts out their ears...

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Oh, quite a vexing question. As soon as you said England I knew #1 had to be a Light Sussex. Then I saw #2 and thought Legbar even though the girls are darker, I tought you were leading us along with the 'creamy coloured' girl so I thought maybe thats what young Cream Legbars look like. (I've always wanted legbars but no one has them around here and they are too $$ to import).

So I am not very good at English breeds. So my second thought was Aracauna because yours looks different than the american version-I think yours has a crest but where are the slate legs and the muffs and beard. Warmer or colder than Cream Legbar. Must. Find. Answer.

ChooksChick you are a faster typer by a millisecond...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    A Light Sussex it is! I have three and I absolutely love them. [​IMG]

10. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    And look at that single comb on #2. Totally okay in the UK on Araucanas. I wish our birds of that type over here had crests. I'd love to see EEs with crests. That would be fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by