Two newborn chicks having problems:( (Graphic Pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1maria100, Sep 24, 2011.

1. 1maria100

1maria100 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    I have two chicks who I am very worried about...Both chicks had yolk sacs still attached to them when they hatched, and one of the chicks is twitching. All my chicks were born about the same time and the 4 healthy ones are already in the brooder and very active. The one that has been twitching is still in the incubator, it hasn't even gotten on its feet and it hatched nearly 8-9 hours ago. He is just lying on his side..The other chick has something wrong with his umbilical cord I think. It looks almost like intestines coming out of his belly, and he had a very large yolk sac but it has dried. Can anyone help me? I really want to save these chicks if it is possible!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. 1maria100

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    They are getting worse..please any idea on what's going on? I really don't wanna lose these two:(

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It could be malabsorption of the yolk.
    Can you turn the humidity down in the incubator some? Also, I would try to give them some warm water with electrolytes/vitamins-dunk their bills carefully and let them get a small drink every 30 minutes to an hour to see if you can't perk them up a bit.
    Good luck!

4. 1maria100

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    Okay I got the humidity down and gave them lifewater. It seemed to perk them up well! I'll continue doing this, is there anything else that would help?

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I don't have a ton of experience, but what I have learned with hatches is to be patient. Give supportive care but let their bodies have time to do what needs to be done. Best of luck to you and your chicks!

6. 1maria100

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    One of the chicks has gotten much better now! The one that was twitching was walking around just fine this morning. The other chick however hasn't improved very much. He is laying on his side, but he is still alive. He will kick his legs a bit and move his head but he has not gotten up or opened his eyes. I'm pretty sure that his intestines are coming out of his belly...I think his umbilical cord was pulled on after he hatched somehow and it just pulled them up, but it's strange he is still alive..Any ideas? He doesn't seem to be in pain and I rubbed antibiotics on his belly.

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Are you sure it isn't just some more yolk sac that needs to absorb? If that's the case, they have a terrible time walking until it does. Keep giving him the vitamin water and maybe take him out of the incubator and put him in the brooder where the others can't peck his navel area.
    So hope he makes it!

8. 1maria100

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    I'm pretty sure it's not the yolk sac. It's pink, and his stomach is sunken in too.

9. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Sometimes their belly buttons will look herniated(protruding and pinkish) if they've had some absorption issues. I surely wouldn't give up yet-he's obviously a fighter.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for your little one.

10. 1maria100

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by