Two of my 5 ladies have diarrhea.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trirealtoramy, Jun 23, 2016.

1. trirealtoramy

trirealtoramy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I think I saw a little white worm in the diarrhea. I started them on Apple Cider Vinegar but am thinking I need to go to Wazine. Am I correct? I have two waterers, a 2 gallon and a 4 gallon. Do I fill them full and leave them or change water+wazine each day?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I cannot see any worms, just swirls in the white urates. You can take a few fresh droppings in to most any vet to get a fecal test for worms and coccidia. Wazine will treat only roundworm, and chickens occasionally have other worms, too. A better choice might be Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and repeat in 10 days. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is another good choice.

3. trirealtoramy

trirealtoramy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Virginia
    Thank you Eggcessive. The worms i saw were thin white things. I used wazine but will take your advice and try the other medications. Question, when you say give it "orally" is that with a syringe or is it something they can eat or drink? I really appreciate the help and am going to get poop looked at [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you use SafeGuard, the dosage is 1/4 ml for each pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row. The Valbazen is a little easier with fewer doses. If given orally, it is given directly into the beak with a syringe, pulling down on the wattles, giving a couple of drops at a time, then release wattles letting them swallow, and repeat. Some give it inside a treat or on bread. It shouldn't be put into water since it will separate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by