Two of My Babies--My Silkies

chicksgalore

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
My Silkies are definitely shier than the Polish. Anyway, I have 4 of them and 2 of them are very noticeably bigger than the other two. Are the bigger ones probably roosters or doesn't that have anything to do with it? Anyway, I saw something very dear tonight when I "put them to bed". I have a variety of 14 chicks that have been raised together from day 1 and they're 9 weeks old. 4 Silkies and the others are larger breeds. Tonight, 9 of the "larger" chickens were up on the roost and 1 of the larger ones (an Australorp) was down huddling the Silkies.

Here are 2 of the Silkies. You should be able to see that the one is bigger than the other (I hope anyway). Can anyone tell what they are yet?

13369_silkie1.jpg

13369_silkie2.jpg

VERY Cute! The bottom one IMO looks like a boy. Not sure on the top one. Are they blues? It's hard to tell in the pictures but they look blue to me. They are adorable
big_smile.png
I have three silkies...one dark blue and two whites and I'm STILL wai†ing to see what my blue is.

Yes, they are blues. I am new to silkies and am probably going to ask a stupid question here but can you tell me why they're called blue? (as opposed to gray?)

I think it's just what the color is called. It's the same for dogs. A weinmeraner is considered blue as well but the color is really grey. Dunno the reasoning behind it but it's not just with chickens/silkies.

JMO but I would say top pullet and bottom is more of a guess and go withpullet also... to me the top has a more feminine look... could be the angle.. it seems to me they appear to be feathering in the top of the head and it looks like it will make more of a Puff as in the hens..

I think too the top one is more feminine looking. I have another small one that looks feminine and another big one like the bottom one that looks more "masculine". Interesting to see if they're like they look.

Back
Top Bottom