Two of my chickens started singing the egg laying song at 5:50pm.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by undine, Oct 18, 2013.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Does this mean theyre about to lay soon? Because i dont think theyd lay an egg at night D:

2. aliciasimon

aliciasimon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    Don't know for sure because I'm new at raising chickens. But one of my buffs belted out the egg song right at dusk when everyone was going to their roost. I was thinking "predator" but couldn't find any cause for the alarm. Maybe it's just something they do sometimes?

3. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Yeaahhh that has happened before but i thought this time was different lol it was a full on bok bok bokbok BUGOCK and it was LOUD. she was doing it inside the coop and another chicken outside the coop did it too, and the other one just chimed in doing the backdrops hahhaa (bok bok bok bok bok bok bok bokbok) :d

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  4. aliciasimon

aliciasimon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    Same - my buff was being LOUD when she did this (much louder than the typical egg announcement). At first I thought it was a dog barking. I searched everywhere for an egg in case she had just laid an egg at dusk, but there was no egg. 4 of my 6 hens have just started laying. It occurred to me later that maybe this buff just had hormones suddenly kick in for the first time and that caused this behavior. But yes - I think your pullets are going to start laying eggs very soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by