Two Of My EE's want to Roost in the trees?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Joe.G, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I Have two EE's that are about 8 Months old, they went into the coop every night all summer , then in Sept 1 of them started to Roost in the tree next to the coop, Then another followed it and then one of my SLW followed it. Every night I would have to chase them out of the tree ( SLW only did it once or twice ) and into the coop. I then locked them all in for a few weeks and tried it again still the two EE's were in the tree, I then locked them in for over a month and tried to let them out last night and the same thing in the tree. What to do? My twenty other Chickens and Guineas all return to teh coop.

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    its natural for a chicken to try to roost high, far away from danger. If they wont go back into the coop at night, try to pick them up yourself and lock them in the coop, but make sure they know that its not good to roost. Maybe put somthing they dont like in or near the tree, so it would see, bad to them. Hope I helped!

3. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

4. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    What should I put int he tree?

5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

pie pans, netting, or something that makes noise in the wind =)

6. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    i agree with salt and pepper :) Have they stopped roosting in trees yet?

7. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Never thought about that maybe I ll hang some stuff in the there favorite roosting tree, I didn't let them out today but I am sure they will be roosting in the trees when I do.

8. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    My hens did the same thing last summer. Suddenly the tree beside their coop was the cool place to be and all the hens would try to fly up there (with varying degrees of success) to roost. I finally got annoyed and had a friend climb up the tree and out on their favorite branch to scare them. They have not been in the tree since, they have however started roosting on the fence beside their house. At least I can reach them easily on the fence.

I would say an unpleasant experience in the tree will probably cure them of using tree branches but it may just cause them to find a new spot. Hopefully your hens go back to the coop.

9. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    We have a couple hens that insist on sleeping in the apple tree near the coop, during the summer it was hard to find them among the leaves and fruit. I sprayed them with the hose nearly every night to get them out and into the coop. Now that the leaves are gone, its either pouring rain or freezing cold and one of the girls is still a hold out for the tree and I am still spraying her with the hose to get her out. I lecture her constantly about that owl next door being able to see her clearly now that the leave are gone but she isn't listening. She is one of my favorites so I would hate if she turned up missing but I dont always remember to grab the hose before dark and after dark in the cold and rain I am less likely to even try to get her back inside every night. I suppose I need something that will clank and bang with the slightest breeze but not freak everyone out all day long?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by