Two of my hens are laying for the 2nd time today!

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
My BO (who just started laying, less than a week ago), layed a little, tiny egg this morning, and just dissappeared into her nesting box again. My BR, who just layed one an hour ago, just hopped back into her laying spot in the coop, and plopped down. I was watching them from the deck, then went down there 15 min. later to see for myself, and yep, they're definitely laying AGAIN.
2 out of 6? On the same day? Are their hormones messed up? Is it the spring-like temperature today? Could they be going broody?

Dont count those till they actually lay. I often have a hen lay, leave the nest, then later find her back on there. They're probably daydreaming or perhaps going broody. It's not that common for a hen to pop out more than one egg in a 24 hour period.
Sometimes, they'll just go sit on an egg another hen has laid, especially on cold days.

Well, I just went to check again, and indeed, my BO has layed another tiny pullet egg! (I know it's from her, because I watched her this morning, as well as this afternoon, and plus, her eggs are TINY, and almost pink in color). GO Girl!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom