Two of my pulleys have crusty, red eyes and noses and seem to have colds

Marshaharrell

Chirping
Apr 4, 2018
Rougemont NC
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Two pullets, one Superble(Bluebell) and one Ameracauna(Princess), 12 weeks old. Same size as their hatchmates.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

They have crusty, red eyes and noses and have noisy breathing. Princess is otherwise behaving normally, but Bluebell is lethargic. Her eyes were matted shut this afternoon.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Princess started first about a week ago. Bluebell started about 4 days ago.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

Just these two out of 9 in this flock.

I do have another thread about some chicks, but the symptoms aren't the same and they have never been in contact with these birds(different yard)

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

We bought some hens from the flea market(I know, bad idea, we know now), and one seemed to have a bad cold. She later died. These pullets were not in with her, but are now in the yard/coop she was in.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

They get flock grower feed, scratch and some veggie/fruit/rice scraps. I have been putting powedered oxytetracycline in this flocks water for 2 days now, 750mg to a gallon of water, but it is only half gone in the morning.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Poop looks normal from what I can see in the coop.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Oxytetracycline in water. Cleaned Bluebell's eyes with warm water and bacitracin on them.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Self treatment.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I'll add pictures of their eyes/noses

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

They have a big, fenced in yard they free range in at will. Their coop has a heat lamp that is on a timer for night. It has a thin layer of pine shavings on the floor and two roost bars.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 24
12 weeks old
crusty, red eyes and noses and have noisy breathing
We bought some hens from the flea market(I know, bad idea, we know now), and one seemed to have a bad cold. She later died. These pullets were not in with her, but are now in the yard/coop she was in.
flock grower feed, scratch and some veggie/fruit/rice scraps. I have been putting powedered oxytetracycline in this flocks water for 2 days now, 750mg to a gallon of water, but it is only half gone in the morning.
Can you take them to a vet?

It looks like they have Fowl Pox. With the symptoms you describe, I would think it is wet form (Diphtheric). The sores on the side of the beak-does that extend to inside the beak, do you see any yellow lesions/plaques?

Antibiotics may help with secondary infections, but I would isolate the ones that are sick and clean/sanitize the water and feed stations.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/fowl-pox
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

that dont look 2 good at all! u need have doctor take look at that

sad thing seem like swap & action places just spread sickeness peeples take sick chicken to them places & unsuspected peeple by them. jus terrible

Can you take them to a vet?

It looks like they have Fowl Pox. With the symptoms you describe, I would think it is wet form (Diphtheric). The sores on the side of the beak-does that extend to inside the beak, do you see any yellow lesions/plaques?

Antibiotics may help with secondary infections, but I would isolate the ones that are sick and clean/sanitize the water and feed stations.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/fowl-pox
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
I don't see any sores on the beak. There is crusty yellow stuff that is coming from their noses and eyes that is caked up there. Maybe that looks like sore in the picture?

When I tried to clean Bluebells eyes this evening, one of them squirted out a wad of pus and then more liquid pus came out. Yuck! I got some Tylan 200 today and will start them on that in the morning. Princess' eyes seem much better after the bacitracin.

Does the face smell bad? Coryza smells horrible, and can cause pus in the eyes from the sinuses. MG can cause some of that in worse cases, but not the same odor. Usually most people use Tylan 50 in chickens. Tylan 200 is 4 times as strong. You can give either one orally, instead of injecting it. You could probably give 1/4 ml of the Tylan 200 2-3 times a day for 5 days.

Neither I nor my husband smelled anything at all even when the pus came out. I read in another thread that the 200 works faster. I'm worried about them getting worse. We did not have anywhere to isolate them, so should I treat the others in that flock or not?

They are probably all exposed already. I would not treat any who do not show symptoms of illness. Some may be immune. Tylan 50 and 200 are the same, just different strengths. The injections will enter the bloodstream faster, but giving it orally is fine. Good luck.

I don't see any sores on the beak. There is crusty yellow stuff that is coming from their noses and eyes that is caked up there. Maybe that looks like sore in the picture?

When I tried to clean Bluebells eyes this evening, one of them squirted out a wad of pus and then more liquid pus came out. Yuck! I got some Tylan 200 today and will start them on that in the morning. Princess' eyes seem much better after the bacitracin.

I circled what looked to me like a sore on the beak. If that much drainage is coming from the eye an accumulating there, then I agree that it's worth a try using the antibiotics.
upload_2018-4-13_22-17-34.png

I circled what looked to me like a sore on the beak. If that much drainage is coming from the eye an accumulating there, then I agree that it's worth a try using the antibiotics.
View attachment 1338143
I'll check it again this morning, but I'm pretty sure it's dried mucus.

Any better way to get the crust off their eyes than using a cotton ball in warm water? I don't want to hurt them, but I'd like to make sure the Bacitracin is making it into the eye and that she can see. It's funny, they one who first had symptoms is doing better than the one who started after.
Poor thing could/would not go in the coop last night. My husband put her in.

Back
Top Bottom