Two of my pulleys have crusty, red eyes and noses and seem to have colds

Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks? Is she walking okay? Any weakness in either leg or wing? Her stance is looking a little unbalanced.

I’m not sure if she was vaccinated. We got her and two other Ameracaunas as pullets from a local farm. I think the weakness is from being sick and not eating and drinking well for a week. I think they have mycoplasma. She and Bluebell definitely had the same symptoms—crusty eyes and nose, wheezing and lethargy. Bluebell is totally back to normal. Princess had stopped wheezing, but as of yesterday, she is wheezing again. I’m wondering if I should have kept her on antibiotics longer. None of the others in that flock have had any symptoms and this has been going on for two weeks. Isn’t Mareks extremely contagious?

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn’t get too concerned about Mareks just yet. You may be right about the weakness and not eating/drinking, but just keep it in mind. Tylan is usually given for 5 days, but you could try it again. If a vet is possible, you could try something stronger. Some chickens have problems with immunity, especially if there is something underlying, such as coccidiosis or even Mareks.
There also can be air sacculitis or secondary diseases. Sometimes we don’t learn what until a necropsy is done after death.

Back
Top Bottom