1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two of our chickens dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mdnaturalmama, Oct 21, 2011.

1. mdnaturalmama

mdnaturalmama New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    We got several chickens/chicks last month. They are now almost 2mos old. Yesterday I noticed one of the Americanas wasn't looking right. First day I'd noticed this. She wasn't moving alot and her wings were down. So I moved her out of the "adult" area of the coop(hoping she was just being picked on) and in with some chicks we have that are a couple weeks old. Well, this morning she was dead. Then my husband told me that one of our Freedom Rangers was dead today when he got home(in "adult" part of the coop as well). I didn't notice anything at all this morning when I went out there. Now I'm worried that something's wrong with all of our chickens and that we're gonna lose more. What could this be?? Any help or suggestions for me?? [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    We need some more info---

Is there any wheezing, sneezing, or coughing going on? Does anyone have runny noses or eyes? Snot bubbles? Have you checked at night for mites and lice?

What are you feeding them? Have they been vaccinated?

3. mdnaturalmama

mdnaturalmama New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    No vaccines for most of them- we're a vac-free family. I have not checked for lice, we use DE in their bedding and food. I have not noticed any coughing, wheezing, snot bubbles, etc. Up until two days ago they were all very active and eating well. The Americana I had noticed didn't look right, so she wasn't a huge surprise. But the FR looked fine so that is why I'm concerned. I should elaborate on the vax...we bought an adult Americana and 3 babies(as well as guineas and others) from a gentleman not too far from us. I do not know what he did to them as far as vax. I never even thought to ask.

4. mdnaturalmama

mdnaturalmama New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    Oh, and we're feeding them layer food...not sure what brand off the top of my head...DE, oyster shells.

5. mdnaturalmama

mdnaturalmama New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    Update:

No more chickens dead at this time. They are all acting fine- two laid eggs today. I did hear a little sneezing from two or three of them. Is this a huge concern? I'm not one to throw ABs at just anything, but I know very little about chicken dz. [​IMG]

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Respiratory diseases can kill a chicken within 24 hours. Do a little research and double check for symptoms. Check eveyone, and put your ear to the sneezers. Any rattling in there? Come back and let us know what you find.

7. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Quote:Getting them vaccinated for Marek's is something you really really really really ought to do....regardless of their source.

Good luck.

8. mdnaturalmama

mdnaturalmama New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    Quote:Getting them vaccinated for Marek's is something you really really really really ought to do....regardless of their source.

Good luck.

I appreciate that you feel that way. But we are doing this b/c we don't like what vaccines and such are put into animals we consume everyday. So we have chosen not to vaccinate what we are going to be eating(whether it be them themselve or their eggs). I will go and listen to them later and let you all know what I find. Thank you for your help. [​IMG]

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Most supermarket chickens have been vaccinated for Marek's.

10. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Quote:True, any not bought from a home flock breeder have been vaccinated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by