Two older hens dead in one day!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoveHuevos, Jun 23, 2011.

1. LoveHuevos

LoveHuevos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    dWe have (had) 7 older hens (about 2 years old) and 7 pullets and one rooster (about 6 months old). The older hens and the pullets/rooster are separated within the coop with chicken wire. This morning my dad found a dead hen and when I went to my dad's house this evening, I found another dead hen. I'm wondering if it could be the heat that we had today? Our temps reached 110 but they are under the shade and have a dirt floor. My dad found an old fan that he installed this evening so I'm hoping that will help them.

Are there any bad signs that I should look for?
    Can we still eat their eggs?

On a side note, we found a baby bird on the ground at our house - It died the next day. When I went to my parent's house this evening, there was a baby bird next to the coop and I'm sure it won't survive until tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I've had hens die in those temps just last year. But you may want to take on to your local Ag dept for an autopsy, to rule out things like West Nile, Newcastle, or other bad bird illnesses.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    110!? WOW I think I would die in those temps [​IMG] It could very well be that had something to do with it but watch the others for sure. Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. LoveHuevos

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    your local Ag dept for an autopsy, to rule out things like West Nile, or other bad bird illnesses.

Really?! My dad threw them in the trash. I wasn't sure what to do with them.

WOW I think I would die in those temps

Yeah, we live in the desert and it can get up to 115.

5. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    It was mid to high 80's today here, in the shade, and I went to Lowe's and bought some misters to hang up around the coops. $15 for 10' strands.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yeah, we live in the desert and it can get up to 115

I have never even felt those temps before [​IMG] WOW It's been in the 50's here yet. I actually turned on my heat for a little bit today.​

7. LoveHuevos

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    bought some misters to hang up around the coops

We have some old misters and my dad was going to put them up but I thought they might attract flies, since they like to lay their eggs where it's moist - But he said that he can set them on a timer. I'm thinking that the fan and the misters will help out a lot.

Isn't there a link on how to keep a cool coop?

8. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:I have heard of cases of Newcastles in Mexico recently, not in the states yet, just noticed you were in So Cal. The dead wild birds concerned me the most. If it continues, despite taking measures to handle heat stress, I'd definitely call your local animal control. They will take care of it from there.

9. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:I plan on turning mine on for just about 10 minutes every hour or two during the hottest part of the day.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Frozen water in 2 liter bottles works great inside the coop. The chickens love to sit next to them and dust bathe next to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by