two or three times?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by what was i thinking, Oct 22, 2008.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i am a little confused on how many times i should be turning my eggs? i have them in cartons and do it twice a day. first thing i the morning and twelve hours later. is that ok ? or should i be trying to do it more? i don't want to screw this up, please help.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I turn at LEAST 3 times a day, I would do it at least that !!!!!!

3. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i am on day seven is ok if i start now??

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's good to turn them odd numbers of times a day, that way they aren't sitting longer over night on just one side. I hand turn mine 3 times a day, around 8 a.m., 2 p.m. and 10 at night, doesn't have to be right on those numbers every time.

Yes, it's okay to start now...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    ok, well i just turned them for the second time today @ six thirty maybe i could start tomorrow. first thing in the am middle of afternoon and then when i go to bed. but i go back to work monday and there is good and bad... i get up by 5:15 (so i could get the first turn in early with plenty of time for more) i come home about 9:30 and have to leave by one (could get another in then) return home after 5:30 so there would be third.....BUT there are days i can't come home for my break in between what do i do?????? I drive school bus and sometimes there is extra work. for $25 an hour i can't very well tell them i can't take extra work i need to go turn my eggs. if i did that me and my chickens would be looking for a new home. any suggestions....? o my dh doesn't go to work til 10:30 would that be too early for a second turn? thanks i just want this to work soooo bad.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Those times will work fine, doesn't have to be like mine or right on the dot all the time, just so you turn odd numbers of times. Morning, sometime during the day and then before you go to bed at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by