Two Pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unbaked pegga, Apr 24, 2018.

1. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Songster

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    BBED466E-5042-4088-9B3C-B77DA9FE95E4.jpeg B360B7A4-4334-4F72-9C21-DEF86EFC7540.jpeg
    I am not having a good spring. It has rained for weeks and weeks. I thought tomorrow and Friday were supposed to be pretty, but NO! More rain. One of my 2 1/2 month old hens died Saturday. I have no idea what happened to her. I found her dead in her cage when i got up.
    The hen I have inserted a picture of is a buff Orpington- Lilac. She is almost 5 years old. For the last couple of years she and my other 2 pet chickens have had a chronic respiratory problem that will flare up when they are stressed. The vet said since she free ranges it was probably from a wild bird. She usually does fairly good. We have had all this rain and I dont know if that has caused her to seem unwell. Her comb is dark red (picture) and she has been breathing with her beak open at times. When I cleaned out the coop and run yesterday i saw what, from a distance, looked like a piece of neon green aluminum foil. But it was poo! (picture) i dont know who this belongs to but it is worrisome. All 3 of them have “pasty butt” but the yard hasnt been dry in over a month. Their appetite seems ok. I looked online to see what might be causing all of this but I had to quit. Too much information. Has anyone seen poo this color? The only thing I can think that could be causing her comb to be dark is low oxygen levels

2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict Premium Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
  3. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your mention of the wet, rainy weather has me suspecting coccidiosis may be rearing its ugly head. Those nasty little coccidia love that sort of weather, and they increase their populations. This can cause an overload in chickens, especially ones that are immune system challenged as yours may be with the respiratory virus.

Now, this is just a first guess taking into consideration the little bit of information you provided, but it is a legitimate starting point. I would get the chickens on Corid immediately.

The green poop isn't the scary thing that it appears. It's just bile. It signifies your hen has no appetite and hasn't been eating. If this is coccidiosis, you should see improvement soon.

You can always use an antibiotic with the Corid if the hen is slow to improve. Sulfa drugs work best with a coccidiostat.

4. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Songster

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    I just got back from Tractor Supply with 9.6% Corid liquid. I have some water soluble antibiotic but i probably shouldnt mix them, dont you think? I am hopeful this will solve her problems. The rain here continues on

azygous likes this.
  5. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You can mix them. The amprolium is a thiamine blocker, not a medicine. It blocks the B vitamin that the coccidia need to reproduce and complete their life cycle. The antibiotic will fight bacteria that often thrive in the intestines as the coccidia invade and corrode the intestinal lining causing infection. (Necrotic enteritis)

6. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Songster

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    Do you know if the chickens will drink it? (Is it palatable?)

7. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Drink what? The water with Corid? Chickens will drink even the most yucky water if that is their sole water source, so you want to eliminate all sources of water except for the Corid treated water. You need to treat for five days and wait a week and treat for five more.

Mix each day fresh. Two teaspoons of liquid Corid to one gallon water.

8. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Songster

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    You have a point:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: