two pips on one egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by two j farm, Sep 10, 2016.

1. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Ok I had one egg pip about 2 hours ago I just checked on eggs and the same egg has piped again. The first pip is at the top of egg in air cell the other one is in the middle of the egg lower then air cell. Has anyone had the happen before? Could this be twins? I locked down last night. I would candle to see but I have other eggs that have piped and don't want to open the incubator. Thanks!

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    It sounds like you could have twins! If so, you will probably have to assist hatch them, as the majority of twins don't survive.

Try posting on the incubating w/ friends thread for more help and advice.

3. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Also possible you have a chick that is having trouble. This past spring I hatched some shipped eggs and had a chick pip just like you described. It wound up being positioned horribly and I eventually had to do an assisted hatch for it. 100% certain it would have expired without the help as it did everything it could to try and die for the next few days after. Today it's my dominant rooster and the bird in my avatar. I'd watch it closely....

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  4. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Thanks. It made it out just one chick. It zipped from the second pip maybe it just liked that spot better [​IMG] its a little black sex link rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by