Two Questions about Chicks' Health

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reyvaughn, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    1) Can a chick get an impacted crop on a diet of hard boiled eggs, chick starter and water? They are on shavings, but they are the large flakes. I have one that seems pretty hard and gritty in the crop area, but it isn't a large mass. I don't know it that's normal after eating or not. So, I was wondering if it's ever been heard of. I added a dish of grit for them to free feed - yes, it's chick grit.
    2) I have a week old chick that seems like she has an infection in her crop area. It's not impacted, it's a large (half a golf ball sized) soft mass, like an abscess. It is not fevered. I checked it out and it has 2 scratches on her chest in that area. So, I am assuming someone's icky claws infected the scratches. I blu-koted her, but now what? Should I mix up some Durymicin? They are not on medicated feed. Or should I just keep an eye on it and hope it drains it's self? It's not getting picked on, so I didn't separate yet.

If you do suggest Durymicin (water soluble), how much to mix with a gallon of water, again?

I just lost my Silkie I tried saving from TSC, so I am really hoping this doesn't result in another loss.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

i don't think I've seen too many impacted crops on chicks, so it is probably being a piggy if it has plenty of water to drink an not get dehydrated. As far as the other, if it is an abscess then I would put it on the Duramycian. 1 tsp per gallon. If you are sure it is an abscess you can take a small 22 gauge syringe and try to drain it or apply a drawling salve like icthamal to the area.

3. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thanks! I'll start the Duramycin tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by