Two questions: Bedding and aggressive chipmunks (duck pics included)

creekside2012

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
Jefferson County, NY
My runner babies are only 2 weeks old and I was wondering if I could use pine shavings yet or if they will eat them and make themselves sick.

Also, we had a baby chipmunk that would run around our yard. I did not think much of it because everyone always raves how sweet and gentle chipmunks are. But that baby has grown up and today I noticed my ducks squawking and flapping and when I went to check in on them the chipmunk was in their pen and seemed to be getting territorial with them over space and their food.

Should I be classifying chipmunks with the rats and other rodents when it comes to protection of my ducks?

Thank you so much! To show my appreciation I have of course included pictures!

Last edited:
I used shavings with my runner babies at 2 weeks to no ill effects. They would sometimes nibble a little, but I never saw them acctually eat any. I would think that by 2 weeks they would already know how to eat from thier food dish and so should have full tummies and no desire to eat wood. If someone else has had a different experience, please chime in.

My runner babies are only 2 weeks old and I was wondering if I could use pine shavings yet or if they will eat them and make themselves sick.

Also, we had a baby chipmunk that would run around our yard. I did not think much of it because everyone always raves how sweet and gentle chipmunks are. But that baby has grown up and today I noticed my ducks squawking and flapping and when I went to check in on them the chipmunk was in their pen and seemed to be getting territorial with them over space and their food.

Should I be classifying chipmunks with the rats and other rodents when it comes to protection of my ducks?

Thank you so much! To show my appreciation I have of course included pictures!

Hahahaha! An angry chipmunk! You need to video that! I want to see! :) I'm sorry, but that is just such a funny thought! I bet you one of those ducks is going to get big enough and bold enough that one day it will peck that little angry chipmunk, and then the chipmunk may mind his own business.

Hahahaha! An angry chipmunk! You need to video that! I want to see! :) I'm sorry, but that is just such a funny thought! I bet you one of those ducks is going to get big enough and bold enough that one day it will peck that little angry chipmunk, and then the chipmunk may mind his own business.
He is a brave little bugger. When I went into the pen he just stood up on his hind legs and stared at me. It was like, okay, you come up to just above my ankles at full height and you think you are going to take me? I really believe he thinks he can....who knows, maybe he can....
lol.png

He is a brave little bugger. When I went into the pen he just stood up on his hind legs and stared at me. It was like, okay, you come up to just above my ankles at full height and you think you are going to take me? I really believe he thinks he can....who knows, maybe he can....
lol.png
Hahahaha! Boy, he is a bold one! How daring to stand up and stare at you like that, as if it would really make him appear any larger. You have to give him credit for standing his ground.... I bet he's all talk though... If you sneezed he could fly away!
lau.gif
I don't think he knows he is a chipmunk...I think someone should tell him.

As for the shavings... they should be fine. Mine were in shavings since about 1 and 1/2 days old. They pecked it, but the pieces are mostly too large to swallow. Besides, I think the pecks were more exploratory in nature anyways.

Well ive raised day old runners and right out from the egg runner babies and i put them in with cedar shavings and NEVER had an issue. I always hear of ducks having issues and sensativity to the cedar but never had any issues. I think youll be fine. And i have 2 chipmunks that always steal from out ducks food, i wouldnt really worry once those ducks get big and if you have a male youll never need to worry because the drake will do his job. For the most part ill just leave a pile and they dont really bother the ducks. I find it pretty cute seeing 2 chippys with HUGE cheeks chaseing each other.. Like really i think youve had enough!!! LOLLL

Back
Top Bottom