Two questions before I call the vet - RE: our pup Jax

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Oct 28, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I can't call the vet until after my doctor calls me long distance. We're old fashioned and only have the one phone line.
    We're having two issues with Jax (7 mo. old GSD) and I need help and reassurance.
    First, he seems to have "outgrown" the last comfortis tablet we gave him. He's scratching like crazy. The last tablet covered up to 60 lbs. but he's had a growth spurt and now weighs 75 lbs.
    It's a little less than a week before he's due for his next tablet. This one will cover up to over a 100 lbs.
    Is it safe to give him the next one early?

The second question involved poop, but nevermind. DH just brought Jax in from outside and reported that Jax pooped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never in my life have I been so happy to hear that a dog pooped! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So um, just the comfortis question please.

2. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nevermind. I called the vet and they said it was okay to give him his next comfortis tablet early.
    Now if he just doesn't "outgrow" the next one. [​IMG]

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Whew, crisis averted! Hope Jax is back to normal now.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks Amy. I think I spend more time worrying about this pup than I did with my human kids. [​IMG]

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

How is the comfortis working for you? We don't have any fleas at the house but the last time we took our pack to the vet they came home with fleas. I was a little upset when a couple days after the visit they were scratching and I saw fleas on them, of course the vet said "no they didn't come from there" but he make the comment during the exam that the dogs had no flea dirt or anything. He remembered after I reminded him lol

anyway he gave us a pill for each of the dogs and I was shocked in just a few days the fleas were gone and never came back. Just curious as to how it works for you?

Steve

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It's working great, except like I said about the dose changing often because Jax is growing so fast. We also have some leftover heartworm meds that he grew out of, so we're saving them for the new pup.
    When Jax and our siamese came to us both in the same week, they both brought fleas along. I dislike treating cats with flea drops, because they groom themselves so much.
    What we finally ended up doing is giving the pup his first dose of comfortis. At the same time I sprayed the furniture with a flea spray and dosed the cats one time with the drops.
    Now the cats don't have fleas because they are entirely inside cats and Jax doesn't bring new fleas in the house because he's on the comfortis.
    I'm do worry about the safety of the comfortis, but Jax has had no side effects and it's seems to be the best solution for the fleas.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Thanks I was amazed at how well it worked. I wondered if it was a fluke. lol

Steve

8. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Ok this is a new product to me. How much does it run you for the 65lb dose?

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It's not cheap. My vet charges $12 for a one month tablet, size 60.1 lbs. to 120 lbs.
    We're letting him take the winter off. We gave him the tablet today and it will cover him into December. We don't intend to give him another one until March, since it gets cold enough here that we don't have a wintertime flea problem.
    It works in 30 minutes and the cost is worth it to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by