1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two questions, eggs freezing and young pullet's egg maybe

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShaggysGirl, Dec 20, 2009.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Hi guys,
    Hope you all are having a wonderful Holiday Season.
    Ok 1st question. I'm in retail so especially this time of the year we are getting home very late. Some times the eggs feel so very very cold. We are in Michigan about 5 miles from Ohio. Can they go bad if they freeze? How will I know if they are frozen without cracking them? Can ya tell this is my first winter with chickens..lol

Next question. Our older pullets are 6 months old and have been laying since they were 20 weeks old They are EEs and I get Pink, blue, green and olive colors. Now my younger ones are 16 weeks old They are Cochin, BO, and Marans about 5 days ago I found a tiny dark brown egg and none since. Is it possible that one of my 16 week old Marans is laying already? And why so long from the first egg till the next.

Thanks
    Rhonda

2. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Bump! [​IMG]

3. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Thanks Bald k9 I suppose no one knows about freezing eggs. I am thinking if the shell doesn't break it should be ok..... I hope.

4. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Frozen eggs are ok to eat, in fact you can put them in your freezer and save for later. You just freeze them out of the shell. If they are clean, I wouldn't worry about eating them. If they are dirty, maybe not so much. It's freezing up here in Maine and most of the eggs I get are frozen when I find them. Some are cracked, some are not. I just pop them in the fridge and let them slowly thaw. If they are cracked, I thaw them by the wood stove and feed them to the dogs.

5. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Thanks Dragonlair [​IMG] Glad they'll be safe to consume

6. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    We have been tossing the ones that split open.

I was more concerned about keeping the cold ones refridgerated. If they are already that
    cold should I then keep them in the fridge? Or is my counter still OK? I was remembering
    I was told that once an egg was in the fridge you should keep it there until eating.

7. animalnut

animalnut New Egg

Dec 21, 2009
    thanks everybody. I had the same question. I actually had one that was cracked. I put it in the refrig and the crack sealed itself as it thawed a bit. Defiatly need to revamp the coop in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by