Two questions - mixing ages, and...toys?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, May 16, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Hello all! I am getting my chicks 5/31 (first timer). Now I see that they may have another breed that I've been interested in, but it isn't available until the week later. Would it be okay to add that chick to my brooder, or would the chicks who would be a week older pick on it?

My second question is, I plan on putting some sticks, etc for the chicks to explore and try roosting on, but has anyone used actual toys, like for parakeets or other caged birds? I keep reading how curious chicks are and thought maybe it would help to entertain them.

Thx!

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Umm, I think they'd be fine, I think. I haven't done it that early but maybe just separate the brooder for a week or so to get them use to each other without them being able to peck.

As for toys, I haven't. Usually just sticks for perch practice xD

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I had 14 chicks a week old. added 25 more a week later. added a month old roo and a 2 month old a couple days after that. added 2 3 month old roos a couple days after that. I didnt have any problems with the older birds picking on the little ones or one breed picking on another. everyone gets along great. They free range even though the young ones a only a few weeks old. They seem to be entertained with stuff around the yard I never added toys.

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I think adding the new one a week later would be fine, just watch them closely at first [​IMG] As far as toys, I give mine just cheap stuffed toys and they love them! They climb all over them, snuggle with them, play king of the mountain, as well as roost on them!

5. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    I have tried this before. I think your chicks will get along great!!!

6. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I am so glad this question came up, I have chicks that are 2 weeks old and that are huge and some that or 1 week or less and small. In fact 4 chicks that hatched the same day with mine are smaller than mine are but they are at a different location now.
    Why would 2 week old chicks be the size of 4 week old chicks?

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I just put 15 4wk old RIRs in the coop with 15 6wk old RIRs. After a little chest bumping there have been no real problems, as far as toys the lady bugs are keeping them entertained.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by