Two Questions...Vaccinating Hatchery Chicks & Are They All Females??

For The Love of Peeps

Songster
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Kuna
Hi All,

I Just Bought 6- 4 Day Old Chicks on Friday. I Was Told They Are All Females. I'm Confused.
idunno.gif
I Have Read That You Cannot Tell The Sex Until They Are Older. And My Next Question...Do They Need To Be Vaccinated...And For What?

Thanks so much.

Yay Chicks! :

They can usually predict sex with about 90% accuracy, I believe. Most hatchery's vaccinate for Mareks.

Some hatcheries only vaccinate by request. I am pretty sure it needs to be done within the first few days, no? (someone can correct me on this because I am not certain.) I did not have my chicks vaccinated. I only intend on having the same 5 girls in the flock and did not feel it was necessary.​

Rocko & Henrietta's Flock :

Ok...Thanks so much Lisa_Anne & Yay Chicks
smile.png
I will call the hatchery and ask them if they were vaccinated.

I noticed with the hatcheries they will typically ask you and charge an extra $1 for the vaccinations~ do you remember paying extra? If you received and kind of receipt it may be on there to!​

You may vaccinate for Mereks at any time. It is most effective when done on day 1. That does not mean you cannot do it asap. This I get from the Illinois Department of Agriculture. I don't know where you are. Kuna sounds like a hawaiian place to me. If that is so, you should check with your states department of agriculture. Some Dept of Ag people will tell you that "for a small flock, you do not need to vaccinate". I sy foohy to that. Each and every bird is precious to it's owner just as 100s are precious in another way to the large flock owners. We small flock owners may not suffer the large monetary loss, but we have our hearts invested.
I vaccinated my original flock, and those incomming and bred on property, for Mereks, Infectious Bronchitis, New Castle and Fowl Pox. All birds have been certified Pullorum Typhoid Clean before adding to my flock or allowing hatchings. All outside birds added, were given all vaccinations over a 8 week period and kept away from the main flock for 10 weeks ( no contact by air, ground, or contamination from dirty shoes), then semi separated for another 6 weeks before being allowed to co-mingle. I think I'm a little extreme but my babies are the world to me and my prise roo would be a great loss.
Vaccinations ar cheap and easy to administer. Depending on your location, there may be other vaccinations you may want to do, or you may not want to do the same as mine as live vaccines can make a bird a carrier for life. Do your research and know what you want to do wiht your flock. Are you going to show? Are you just going to shows and perhaps bringing something back on your clothing or shoes; and can you be diciplined enough not to inadvertantly infect your birds in that manner? Are you going to sell eggs or chicks? What diseases have historically been found in your area of the world? Do you have wild turkeys walking around? I do. Do you have a mosquito problem? All those things should be taken into consideration.
I hope this helps.
Denise
Paradise Found

Back
Top Bottom