Two Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GSDBESTK9, Apr 10, 2012.

1. GSDBESTK9

GSDBESTK9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    My 6 chicks seem to be doing GREAT (knock on wood), they are a week old today and growing!

One of them however, has dried poop on the side of her butt. I tried getting it out but I couldn't, I guess I was afraid to hurt the chick. Is there something I should do??

Also, I read that before you put them outside, you should gradually reduce the amount of Heat Lamp time. At what age do I start doing that?

Thank you all!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

With the dried poo, you can soak the chicks little tush in some warm water, and just work it off with your fingers. (Gross I know, but it's easier that way). Make sure you dry the chick very well, so it doesn't get chilled.

I don't put my chicks outside until they're fully feathered. (That's when their fuzz has been replaced with feathers.)

Now, on nice days, you can take them outside. I put mine in a little bottomless cage, so they can peck around in the grass. I wouldn't leave them unattended though, so a predator doesn't grab them.

Congrats on your new little babies,
    Sharon

3. GSDBESTK9

GSDBESTK9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    So, this Sunday it is supposed to be in the low 80's, is it ok to bring the 1 week old chicks outside for a little bit? In an enclosed area of course and with us there to supervise. Or are they still to young for that?

4. PaintedWolf

PaintedWolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Kitsap WA
    Mama hen would have them outside and pecking around by now. It would be fine for you to take them out for excursions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by