1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PaPa Charlie, Sep 10, 2012.

1. PaPa Charlie

PaPa Charlie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    1. How often do you change the pine bedding in the brooder box?

2. When do I need to move the young chicks out of the brooder box?

We got our chicks on Sept. 1, RIRs, and they are doing so good, lots of fun to watch.
    I built a four foot long, two foot deep and two foot high brooder box for the chicks, (from a plan that I copied from BYC several years ago. I have the coop built and am working on the chicken yard. Thanks to many for their wisdom that I have copied over the years.

Sweet corn Charlie

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    1. How often do you change the pine bedding in the brooder box?
    Depends upon how many chicks are in the brooder; when it starts to smell any usually or appears quite messy (they go hand-in-hand). Usually for what I kept in the brooder I could make it anywhere from from a couple of weeks to about a month if I recall correctly, but my brooder is larger than yours I think (and I may have had more/less chicks when I used brooders).

2. When do I need to move the young chicks out of the brooder box?
    Once they are feathered out good usually, in the spring or summer they wouldn't even have to be completely feathered due to warm months, but since fall is upon us I wouldn't put them out there until fully feathered (unless they have outgrown their area and begin feather picking) and even then possibly a light to acclimate them to the drastic change in temp.

God bless,
    Daniel.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  3. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    I changed my bedding every couple weeks until they get a bit bigger then a little more regular depending on the amount of chicks and feces.

I put my RIR out at about 8 to 9 weeks old they took a while to fully feather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by