two questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nikki1496, Nov 23, 2013.

1. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    First question has anyone ever successfully hatched eggs on a heating pad? if so any tips?
    and second question pertaining to first question, ive got a few eggs on a heating pad (ive been keeping an eye on temp) and idk if its due to dull lighting or what but in one of the eggs i never saw any blood vessels or anything but when i looked at the eggs today that one egg is very dark inside and there is a good sized air cell inside of it. is this normal?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Darkening and air cell enlargement can be a sign of development. Although not impossible, I would guess that incubating in such a way would be very difficult due to temperature and humidity issues.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Seems like a heating pad would heat the egg unevenly, resulting in growth issues. If the temp was right you may get development, but whether it would be able to complete growth and hatch - doubtful.

4. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Ive been keeping a close eye on humidity,temp,etc
    but i just find it strange that i havent seen any veining yet its darkening. maybe its just to dull of lighting. the egg shell is brown also so i know tthat can be harder to candle

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are they in a box with the heating pad or something??
    Can you post a pic? What day are you on?

6. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    They are in a box with the heating pad on the bottom a small towel then thr eggs so they arent right on the pad.
    pic f the egg or ? And i think 8-9 im not completely sure.
    i know the temp around all of then stays about 80-90 other then the ocaional spike to 100

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I've never hatched eggs myself so need to say that first, but how often are you turning them?

8. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    2-3 Times a day if not 4

9. JohanSureHatch

JohanSureHatch New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    Cape Town, South Africa
    I would say a no go on the heating pad, purely due to the fact that the heat will not be distributed evenly and there would be no humidity for the eggs and this would cause them to dry out slowly.

10. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Ive found ways of keeping humidity around the eggs it took some trial and error but. i found a way to keep a good amount of humidity around them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by