1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two quick questions ... mallard baby related

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dbunni, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    We have a hatchling living in the house. Just turned a month (her mommy gave up on the nest and we had one live duckling come through).

Her living conditions ... she is in a nice dog crate with towels, puddle, food, toys and lamp. Could we put her on pelleted horse bedding (we use it under some of the rabbit cages ... no chemicals) to cut down on the laundry! Or suggestions?

This past week her wing feathers are coming in ... yesterday we noticed one of the wings flips out at the bottom joint. I have seen this before in a goose. Suggestions? Could we tape it to the body with vet wrap to encourage proper allignment? She is given access to the tub ... yep our tub ... is filled once a day for her to do the ducky thing. About an hour! she loves her big tub!

Thanks ...

Ducky & Me ...

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    yes and yes tape her wing down now. And get her a friend. Ducks are highly social.

3. dbunni

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    Thank you ... wish we could get a friend, but she is very happy with the angora doe (rabbit) and people ... so far. She is in our special room for those animals that cannot handle the cold of Ohio. Would like to intro her to our pair of call ducks in the spring ... so she has friends. They are in the kennel where the temp is around (just above) freezing. So not sure she could handle, plus it is a 4'x5' with 20' outside (when I open the guilatine door). Would like to have a little more space for the into/break in time.

Oh ... she sleeps on the couch watching tv with the teen most nights! spoiled kids!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Thats a lucky duck. [​IMG] She already has a BEST friend,You. [​IMG]

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

If her wing flips out it sounds like Angel Wing. You need to get so Niacin..you get it in the vitamin isle in Walmart. Mine came in 500 but you only need 100 per 1 gallon of water so I open the capsule and guestimate the 100 and put it in a gallon water jug and add the water. I gave it every day for their first 6 weeks then 1 day every week. I also gave my ducklings Pedilite in their water too, maybe 5 mils or whatever I drew up the saringe. You can also get stuff at Tractor Suppy called chick saver. comes in little packets and add it to a gallon of water . I give this once a week also.

6. dbunni

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    Angel Wing is????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by