Two rams showed up on our property today. I have a ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Jul 6, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We came home this evening to find two rams grazing on one of our pastures. We had seen them on the highway the other day. Apparently the cattle guard didn't bother them, because they would have had to cross it to get on our place.
    Their fleece looks pretty ratty and they don't look to be in good shape. They have ear tags. We haven't approached them to see if the tags contain any useful information but I highly doubt it.

Is there any way besides word-of-mouth to locate the owners? Are sheep usually tattoed or something?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Poor things... they must be dying in this heat if they arent sheared... [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah Red, I'm going to try and get close to them tomorrow. See if I can figure anything out for them. Make things more bearable while we try and find the owner.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yeah.. thanks, Gritty. You're a good doobie.. [​IMG]

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If they are USDA Scrapies tags, they will have a number corresponding to the farm/owner
    Your State Veterinarian office can tell you who the tag number belongs to

In this example, the top number would be the "Premise Number" and the bottom is the individual sheep's ID number

http://www.bah.state.mn.us/diseases/scrapie/images/allflex-tag.jpg

Rams can be DANGEROUS.
    Be VERY careful around them

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    The Scrapie tags will tell you who bred them, but not who their most recent owner was (if they were sold). I'd try to catch them and post ads listing them found. Any pictures? We can give you help on breed ID. [​IMG]

7. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Contact your sheriff department. Down here in FL, we have an ag officer. They'll likely know where to direct you to up in your area if they don't handle the calls/complaints themselves. Likely if they don't, they'll refer you to animal control. Cattle, horses, sheep, and goats are ALWAYS on the loose around here. We ended up with a mule a few months ago that wandered into our far pasture that was open to the state park. No one claimed him. He's going to a new home today. [​IMG]

8. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Scrapies tag/white tag on ear, top number is where they are bred, so if you contact the farm (via state vet) they should be able to direct you to the owner, if they aren't.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The Scrapie tags will tell you who bred them, but not who their most recent owner was (if they were sold).

Any responsible breeder/seller can tell you who bought any animals they sold.

Traceability is the whole point of Scrapies tags​

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    grits, I wouldn't get close to them. Call your game warden and let him know about them. Tell him they have tags and what color the tags are. That will be enough info for them to know whether or not someone has lost their rams or if some group is just studying them. Let them take it from there. Let them know that you have two gorgeous shepards that need their yard back. Oh and take some pictures already!!!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by