Two reds and one Buff please sex them

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chelsea1183, Jul 11, 2016.

1. chelsea1183

chelsea1183 New Egg

Apr 24, 2015
    Pleas help me determine what sex theses are. I have a good guess but I would love a second opinion. They are 16 weeks old now and I can hear one of them trying to crow.
    First red
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Second red
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

These all appear to be female. At 16 weeks any cockerel should be incredibly obvious so I'm going to say you have a crowing hen. This is rare in any hen, but especially rare in a young hen - usually they won't do it prior to a few years of age, and even then it's quite uncommon. Crowing in hens is typically the result of a hormone imbalance, which itself can sometimes be a simple freak thing or the result of damage to the ovary. There's not really any way to fix it as far as I'm aware, though sometimes getting a (real) rooster can reduce or stop the hen's crowing.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullets

4. stacibful

stacibful Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    Pullets

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    It was a shocker when I heard crowing & I know I had pullets & think she was about the age of yours. Found out they do crow, read it right here on BYC :) Read that it could be a "dominate" female although don't think she was (Black Orpington). She was LOUD so ended up rehoming her and her bunch, didn't want her going alone to a new place. Started all over....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by