Two rescue chicks; What breed??

Donutley

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2018
I have two very young chickens that were brought to me after being rescued from a cat, but i cant tell what breed they are. I think maybe silkies? They have the black skin, blue under the eyes, and feathered feet/legs but im not sure. One is a polydactyl with two extra toes making five on each foot, the other has 4 on each foot. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8180.JPG
    IMG_8180.JPG
    584.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8183.JPG
    IMG_8183.JPG
    455.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Get them a coop. Build one, buy one, but get them a coop somehow. Next make sure they have a feeder and feed. You would need Starter/Grower feed. Get them a waterer as well. Block off the nesting boxes until they start laying. Make sure neither of them are hurt! I would personally give them a dust bath as well. Make sure they get TLC!!!

Get them a coop. Build one, buy one, but get them a coop somehow. Next make sure they have a feeder and feed. You would need Starter/Grower feed. Get them a waterer as well. Block off the nesting boxes until they start laying. Make sure neither of them are hurt! I would personally give them a dust bath as well. Make sure they get TLC!!!
What I did with my chooks.

FishKeeper also has a good point.

I already have a flock of chickens, so I'm good on the coop and I do have experience with chickens as it is! But them being a fancy breed, I want to make sure I give them the best care I can. But I'm not sure who they belong to D: The person who brought them to me said she had tried to look for the owner but found nothing? So I genuinely have no idea who they belong to. I looked them both over very closely for injuries, one is completely uninjured and one has a small puncture wound, so I'll likely have to get something for her. I'll probably take them both to the vet, just in case

Take them to a vet and tell the vet that a cat got them. Even the uninjured one, if the cat got ahold of it, likely has puncture marks somewhere that you can't find. It may be OK with just close observation, but the one with the puncture needs antibiotics.
Introduce them carefully, as they're small, delicate, and there's only two of them. Other than their small size and the potential rough introduction, they're chickens. Treat 'em like chickens.
Maybe put up some fliers about having found them? I'd be prepared for an owner to call looking for them. Also, definitely quarantine them away from your flock for awhile, give 'em time to grow and make sure they aren't sick with anything contagious.

Back
Top Bottom