Two Resident Roosters - 10 Hens - Only One Roo Gets the Girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by machoman, Oct 19, 2011.

1. machoman

machoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2011
    I have two roosters, one is a Brahma and the other a Barred Rock. The Brahma is the boss around our place. He mates with all the hens. The barred rock does not. I've never even seen him try. He's very submissive and has yet to crow but has decent sized spurs and a huge comb, he seriously must weigh at least 10 pounds. I want to raise meat birds and of the two the barred rock is definitely more impressive in size. Do I need to find a new home for my Brahma to get my Barred Rock to breed with the girls?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Either seperate the brahma from the flock or better yet relocate him and the barred rock will step up. A dominant rooster actually tends to suppress the testosterone level in the subordinates.

3. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    How old are they cause I have heard it takes brahmas lot longer to fully grow

4. machoman

machoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2011
    I'm not sure on the exact age, the Brahma was given to me maybe mid June of this year and started crowing at the beginning of July. I purchased the barred rock mid July ( think he was a girl ) and he was already pretty big, I noticed a couple of weeks later that he had spurs. The barred rock's spurs are 1/4 inch long, longer than the Brahma. The barred has never crowed, he did have a significant URI and it may have scarred or damaged his voice box, I'm not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by