Two Roo's keep fighting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Jun 30, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Two of my Roosters, my Frizzle and my Rhode Island Red, Keep on fighting I have to keep one of them locked up at all times or else they just get in to a death match. They have accidentally gotten out at the same time twice. And they are drawing blood from eachother. Does any one have any other suggestions for me other than what I am already doing?

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Eventually, you may have to find a new home for one. I haven't had good luck getting roos to get along once they get past "teenagers" and want to be the head honcho [​IMG]

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    As the previous poster said, some roosters just won't get along, especially if you don't have a large enough number of hens for the both of them. That being said, roosters that are raised together are more likely to get along, but there could still be problems if there are too few hens to go around, either problems for the hens from being over-bred of problems from the rooster fighting over the hens. Are there any hens with your guys now? If so, have you tried taking them both away from the hens? Do they still fight even without hens around? If there are no hens present and they're still fighting, you'll probably have to get rid of one or plan to keep them separated indefinitely. I've never heard of a way to force roosters to get along if they're just not feeling the good vibes towards each other. [​IMG]

4. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I'm not trying to force them to get along I was just trying to see if anyone knew of anything else that I could do that is diferent than what I am already doing. We are looking in to building new fences for the chickens. When we get that done I will be able to let them out at the same time without having to worry that they are going to tear eachother apart. I plan to put the small rabbit fencing around the bottom so they can't even get to eachother through the fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by