Two roos, two pullets, or one of each?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ladybug2001, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Ladybug2001

Ladybug2001 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I have two buff orpingtons from this years flock. They both have developed combs a lot quicker then the other four, but one is more advanced and has poor feathering. I'm at a loss! The first time I had a roo it was obvious because they were all the same breed and he was the only one that was doing the obvious signs.

[​IMG]T
    This is the one with poor feathering and the most progression of comb and waddles.
    [​IMG]
    More advanced feathering, some comb and waddle but not as much as the first.
    [​IMG]
    So we are wondering, are they both roos, pullets, or is one a roo and one a pullet?

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Those are both cockerels. [​IMG] Handsome boys

3. Ladybug2001

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Darn. Two roos will over use 6 hens won't they?

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

1 male for every 10 females is what I keep seeing. My one cockerel was more active than his six hens liked.

5. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 1 Roo and 9 hens and he over uses them all. I made saddles for all the ladies, poor things.

6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    It depends I think. Some roosters are fine with a few and some need 10 or 12. Do you free range? If you free range sometimes you can have more than 1 roo with less than 10 or 12 hens. [​IMG]

7. Ladybug2001

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Yes i free range. But its only for a few hours unless someine is home due to dog problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by