Two roos??

LoveMyFeatherBabies

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 8, 2011
Shelby, NC
Can you have two roosters in one coop? I have 21 hens and I am looking to get a Barred Rock rooster to mate with my barred rock hens...but I don't want them to be in the "mating coop" aka the chicken tractor forever. Can two roosters coexist?

P.S. My other rooster is a RIR

When raised together multiple roosters can get along relatively well given enough space to keep out of one anothers way. When introducing a mature rooster into an established with a flock rooster, expect major fighting.

I have two roosters in one coop and they get along great!
They weren't even raised together!
But they are both docile roos.
Ones a polish and the other is a silkie.
One will normally be aplha and the other will be the beta.
Not all roo's will get along though, it depends on breed, personality, and the way they are raised.
I'm very lucky that ours don't fight.

A lot will depend on how much space your birds have. But yeah, introducing a full-grown roo to another is going to result in a fight, they simply have to see who has a bigger........comb. And they might fight several times til they figure it out. You can try it, but be aware one roo could wind up hurt.

Pretty much what the others said. When you put two roosters together and there are hens around, they will determine which one is the boss. Sometimes that is a fight to the death. Sometimes it involves a bit of fighting and a lot more chasing and running away. If they can determine who is boss and both live, they often form a real good partnership in taking care of the flock. Sometimes the roosters will hang together, as if they appreciate some male companionship with all those hens around. Sometimes they sort of split the hens, each keeping their own harem. I think the more room they have so they don't have to be in each others face all the time is better, but you never really know how they will do together.

Quote:
Thats what my roosters did.
They split up who's hens were who's (even though we only have 5 hens at the moment).
My polish ended up with 3 hens and my silkie ended up with 1 hen...sounds alittle uneven, but hey what ever works for them lol.
They get along really nicely and because they have "their own girls" they have never fought.
But like others are saying....some roo's can get along...and some roosters will fight to the death...

My advice is to introduce the roosters without any hens around first.
See how it goes and then if everything is going ok, then add the hens to the mix and see if the roosters demeanor changes.
I introduced my roosters that way and it worked out really well.

Last edited:
I have two, but one is a Jersey Giant and one is a Silkie mix. The big roo knows the little one is no competition for his hens, so he leaves the little guy alone.

I am getting the new rooster pretty young so that I can kind of (this may sound weird) bond with him before I put him in the coop becuase I want a rooster I can trust. Waylon is pretty docile. If we introduced the new rooster before he was fully grown, that should cut down on the immediate fighting and competition right?

Back
Top Bottom