Two roosters a few hens -- looking for short term management options

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TwoMileRanch, Aug 6, 2009.

  1. TwoMileRanch

    TwoMileRanch In the Brooder

    36
    0
    22
    May 13, 2009
    Hey all, this is a minor twist on the age old question of how to best manage two roosters. Thanks for your patience reading this.

    I raised pheasants for two years before deciding to "try" egg chickens this spring. Rather than buy a big batch, I started with 6 from the feed store, 4 pullets and two straight run barred rock (hoping 50/50 odds would give me a pullet). But I ended up with two roos who are now 16 - 20 weeks.

    All has been peaceful until this week, the dominant roos chases the less dominant roo (no injuries) but the less dominant roo has learned to fly over the pen fence (4 feet more tall or less). Which is fine, he can more or less safely free range near by -- but when he leaves, the dominant roo gets very agitated and crows very frequently, pacing back and forth.

    (Actually it is comical to watch the first few minutes.)

    Okay, so one or both of the roos are heading for the freezer. Here's the question.

    I have 50 meat chicks a week old, including some barred rock straight run. I'd like to swap out the two barred rock roos for two barrred rock pullets when the pullets are old enough to mix in with the other hens.

    Does anyone one have any suggested for managing these two roos for another 4 - 8 weeks?

    I could: put the lesser roo in with ducks -- a separate fenced and covered pen

    put the lesser roo in with pheasants (not sure how that would work out, as there are roo pheasants in there, too)

    just let things be and keep feed and water outside of chicken run for the escapee roo. (at night, they all roost side by side with no apparent issues)


    Thanks all
     
  2. gritsar

    gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

    28,906
    168
    408
    Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you seperate the subordinate roo where the alpha can still hear and/or see him, my feeling is you will have the same problem of the alpha pacing as close as he can get.
    My opinion is the best option is to leave things as they are until the boys go to freezer camp, so long as they aren't fighting to the point of drawing blood.
     
  3. Princess Amri

    Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

    14,366
    42
    326
    Jul 16, 2009
    I'd cage them alternately; Aggressive one day Pathetic tomorrow. But I have more cages sitting around than any pet chicken owner should be seen with!
     
  4. Mahlzeit

    Mahlzeit Songster

    1,420
    67
    216
    Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Id leave it as is also. As long as the less dominant can escape there shouldn't be too big of an issue. Just put some water on the outside of the pen for him.
     
  5. TwoMileRanch

    TwoMileRanch In the Brooder

    36
    0
    22
    May 13, 2009
    Thanks to you all. I really appreciate being able to get your thoughts. This is a great board.

    "Freezer camp" Love it. [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: