Two Roosters Cohabitating Happily?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Moxiechick, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    This past spring, I decided to add to my flock, and bought a pair of EE's (a roo & hen), and two chicks which I thought were both pullets. Well, one of the chicks ended up being a roo, so now I have two roosters!

So far, they are getting along fine. The younger one, Mischief, has never challenged the adult roo, Merlin, and Merlin just ignores Mischief. I'm estimating that Mischief is about 5 months old now. I'm hoping that they've worked out their pecking order and will coexist happily, as I really like both roos. Is there a chance they'll live happily like this from now on, or is Mischief still too young to think of challenging Merlin? Mischief hasn't even crowed yet, although he does join in the egg song! [​IMG] There are currently 7 hens, and I'm thinking of adding 3 more next spring.

Merlin, with Mischief looking on.
    [​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 3, but raised together, I don't know about adding them into an existing flock...time will tell I suppose.
    Maybe someone else has more experience...

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow! Your main roo is gorgeous!! Is it possible they will continue to get along? Yes. Is it possible that the youngster will challenge the mature roo and sparks (and feathers) will fly? Yes. There are too many factors to take into consideration (personalities, hormones, how much time is spent free ranging, number of hens, etc.) to be able to predict what'll happen... [​IMG]

4. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Thanks!
    They do get to fre range for a few hours about 4-6 evenings a week, but once the snow hits, they'll be more confined. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will continue to get along. Does anyone the approximate age that a young roo will typically challenge an older roo, if they should decide to give it a go?

5. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:i think once its 1-2 years old you will be able to tell

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    They should get along just fine. I have around 20 roosters all in the same pen locked up together and they get along just fine. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Flocks are always in a state of flux and your younger roo may eventually challenge and win the top roo spot...and this is natural. They will occasionally have small challenges as the younger ages...this is normal. I wouldn't have two roos to that few hens if you want them to keep their back feathers, though. Even 2 roos to 20 hens, the recommended ratio, I found to be too much breeding of the hens. Especially if they are penned to a run and cannot escape the roos...I imagine that would be much worse.

I'd rehome the younger roo and just keep your one already proven roo, just for the sake of your poor hens.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 2 Excellent advice!

9. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Observation of my flocks - more chickens than I ever thought I'd have, seems to band together in groups of 5 to 6, within the flock, with 2 little roos in each division, there have been little squabbles that end quickly...I think the subservient roos are just bidding their time, waiting for natural selection (like a hawk swooping in to take the other guy) so they can step up. Course I do have a bad roostser that can't be let out, but he was like that from the start.
    I may eventually have a problem, and need another little freezer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by