Two Roosters dead in coop

Powerpuff

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
We let our chickens and roosters out this morning and they were all healthy and good. Early evening we noticed two roosters were dead on the ground. One was dead right next to a hen who was sitting on her egg and the other was dead just a few feet away. There was no blood, no feathers strewn, no obvious neck injury. They looked like they were just sleeping on the ground with their eyes closed. I would be able to sum up the death of one rooster as something mysterious... ate a bad bug or something but two of them? And they hadn't been dead that long. The other day I let them out to early and ended up chasing a coyote away from them. No death or feathers lost then either. But now just two days later they are dead in their coop.
What the heck happened????????? If they had been in a fight, wouldn't I of seen feathers, bloody combs or something? I've never even seen them fight before. They were pretty sweet. However, one was beginning to chase my daughter and perhaps showing signs of aggression... I had told her he just thought she would give him a scrap of food or something but, perhaps they got in a fight to the death and there just weren't any signs of blood or feathers?
We had all been outside all evening and never heard anything.
We are in Texas, 108 degrees but they were right in the coop with a huge watering bowl.
I guess the stranger thing to me is the fact they were even in the coop.
They usually do not go in there until evening. A hen was laying an egg so maybe they got in a fight over her in the coop???? Just no blood to show for it? They were both very young, about 8 months old.
I'm so sad about it.
sad.png

I'm sorry for your sudden and mysterious loss...
I am not able to help... I am replying so that you know that someone, people are reading your post, and care.

I assume that, since you are in Texas, that these roosters were used to the heat, that it had been hot for them all summer, that this was not unusual weather for them. I also assume you have a fan or other means for them to cool off, stay cool... I know my coop is hotter than outside under a tree, so I keep a little fan running in the coop to circulate the air.

If it had been anything violent, I assume there would be "evidence" of that, like you say, feathers, blood, mangled or missing bodies. All of your chickens are healthy, feeling good, etc... no signs of illness or parasites? You worm now and then, etc.?

I hope someone replies with some helpful information, and I do hope you don't lose any more of your flock. The coyotes you ran off... you know they generally come out at night... but, when desperate they will come out to hunt anytime, and a pack can take out your entire flock, but I assume it would be "ugly" and clearly coyotes that "got them".

Ah... in Texas.. how about a snake? Snakebite? Are you in a rural area that has venemous snakes? Snakes can come into a coop to get the eggs... and, maybe snakebite killed your roosters?? Just a thought.. if it could be a poisonous snake, you need to find it, kill it, before it bites one of you. Roosters would try to protect hens, and might attack a snake. Of course, if you were close / outside, you might have heard a commotion?

Well... sorry.. do wish I could help. Hope you find out. Just wanted to reply, good luck in finding out what happened.
Take care...

Back
Top Bottom