Two roosters living together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HarleyHyena, Sep 3, 2015.

1. HarleyHyena

HarleyHyena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Texas!
    Okay! So I recently integrated both of my flocks together. They both seem to be doing fine. I thought I only had one rooster out of all the chickens I had. Turns out one of the Silkies I have is a rooster... I never knew until a week or so ago. They don't seem to fight or bother each other yet. I haven't heard the Silkie crow yet, at all... Do you think I should separate the two now, or wait to see if they start getting aggressive with each other?

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    How many hens do you have? And how much younger is the new roo?

3. HarleyHyena

HarleyHyena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Texas!
    I have 18 hens and two Guinea. They should be about a month younger?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I always leave them, they may fight occasionally they may not, I would only get rid of one if they are being too hard on the hens, usually silkie roosters are easy going, if you separate the roosters they will really fight when brought together, so just leave them and wait and see how your flock dynamic develops.

2 people like this.
  5. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Mmmm i dont think it will be an issue then, i have 23 hen and one rooster (thought we had two) from my understanding aslong as you have enough hens for both you should be okay. Another poster said (diffenet post same topic) that they just create two different flocks.

1 person likes this.
  6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They form smaller flocks within the flock , certain roosters follow certain hens, but there are no clear cut lines about who's with who, younger birds will stick together and if they have a rooster among them he will try to be their rooster, chickens from the same batch tend to hang together most of their lives.

2 people like this.
  7. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    is it normal for the dominant rooster to always put the chase on the lower ranking rooster? Will they settle down?

I added two new roosters last week. They are buff orpingtons and have been raised together. They were decribed as gentlemen which is what I was looking for in a rooster.

TIA

Sharon :)

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The top rooster will always chase the lower ones if they get too near him. When keeping multiple roosters it helps to have lots of room for them all to get away from each other. Some will eventually come to an unseen agreement and others never will.

9. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks, that makes sense and is what I'm seeing in my two boys. The senior roo has his job cut out with a flock of unruly hens but seems to be making some ground with his job lol They are Buff Orpington roosters. I was so afraid of them being so big with my mutt girls. lol

Sharon :)

1 person likes this.
  10. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I have 3 silkie Roos and I see the occasional spat between roo 2 and roo 3.
    Roo 2 tolerates roo 3 until he just feels like roo 3 is annoying him. This is where I step in and let roo 2 know what is acceptable behavior. Roo 1 knows he is top dog and gets along with both and occasionally will tell roo 2 to knock it off.

I have raised silkies since 2000 and have always had more than one too. The deal with keeping a few silkie Roos together is for you, while all are young is to handle them constantly and those who do not see you as their buddy must go. You are top chicken and must be respected by all or you will have problems.

I am currently trying to find a home for roo 2 since My silkie gal has hatched 11 Cochins and I know at age 8 weeks I have 5 up and coming Roos. I will be keeping 1 Cochin roo.

Since I am handling all 11 chicks daily I am finding who is in love with me. Out of those Roos I will keep one and try to find homes for the rest.

Squabbles will occur intervene when possible. Mean Roos must go!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by